[Mailman-Users] Beginner questions

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Oct 22 17:21:33 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 10:43, António P.F.Ferreira de Almeida wrote:
> I' m very new to Mailman and would like to ask a few questions :
> 1. For creating a small mailing list (200/300 members), using Mailman and Apache, in a home computer running Linux, can I use a dynamic IP or do I need a fixed IP ?
> 2. How do I assign that IP (fixed or dynamic) to an existing domain ?

In general you need a fixed IP, however you might take a look at
http://www.dyndns.org, they are one of several organization that provide
the type of dynamic to static IP mapping which would be required for
this to work with a dynamic IP provided by your ISP. Whether in practice
this is reliable and robust is not something I can comment on. You may
also have to contend with your ISP performing port blocking. Many ISP's
who sell you a personal/home account do not want you to be running
servers for which they believe they should be receiving
commercial/business class revenues. You will certainly want to address
the issue of port blocking and procurement of a static IP with your ISP
first. A more viable approach might be to utilize one of the many
hosting services that for a very minimal amount of money provide you
with a domain, web server, mailman, etc. all managed by them on their
servers. I personally have had good experiences with www.dreamhost.net
and their costs are very reasonable, but there are many many service
providers that will take a lot of the headaches out of running servers
yourself.

However, these are not in general mailman issues and you're best to
pursue the issues with service providers.
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>