[Mailman-Users] Mailman on Solaris-based web server

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Thu Oct 21 23:20:32 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 17:00, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 4:37 PM -0400 2004-10-21, John Dennis wrote:
>
> >  FWIW, the dovecot IMAP server supports Maildir.
>
> 	Never heard of it.  Is it based on UW-IMAP, Courier-IMAP, or Cyrus?
>
> 	Those are the big three.  I don't know of any other IMAP server
> that anyone is using in any kind of significant operation that isn't
> at least based on one of these three systems.

I believe it was written from scratch, principal author is Timo
Sirainen, tss at iki.fi, info here:

http://dovecot.org

We (Red Hat) were looking for a replacement for UW-IMAP and beginning
about a year ago began shipping both Dovecot and Cyrus as potential
replacements for UW-IMAP. Dovecot is equivalent in ease of use
(configuration) as UW-IMAP and has a focus on security (think of it as
postfix's response to sendmail). Cyrus fills the need for an industrial
strength IMAP server in large organizations.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>