[Mailman-Users] Mailman on Solaris-based web server

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Oct 21 21:43:15 CEST 2004

At 7:08 PM +0100 2004-10-21, Richard Barrett wrote:

>  I have been warned by experts that NFS locking could be a problem with
>  this way of working but thus far it has not proven to be a problem.

	Locking is the bane of any administrator using NFS.  Nick
Christenson wrote a seminal paper on how to build a scalable mail
system using NFS as the message store (see
<http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/doc/mail_arch.html>).  It's hard to do
the same kind of thing in an IMAP environment -- the only IMAP server
I know of that uses Maildir (a storage format that is supposedly
NFS-friendly) is Courier-IMAP, and it has some serious scalability
issues.

	For large-scale systems, this is a real PITA.

>  The only problems I have had with Linux and NFS is due to what I believe
>  to be a kernel lock handling problem on Linux.

	Cross-platform NFS server/client environments are usually the
worst possible thing you can do.  NFS appliance vendors like NetApp
work very hard to make their products compatible with the broadest
array of client OSes, and even they can't satisfy everyone.

	In my experience, this is the single most difficult/impossible
problem to solve in an NFS environment.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755