[Mailman-Users] Mailman on Solaris-based web server

Mauricio Tavares raub at grove.circa.ufl.edu
Wed Oct 20 18:04:08 CEST 2004

John Wheaton wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am curious whether Mailman will work on Solaris, and how best to
> integrate it with our current web site. Our school maintains an
> informational website at www.stfrancishighschool.com, hosted by IgLou
> in  Louisville. We have been discussing with a few alumni the
> possibility of  creating mailing lists for the alums, and Mailman
> seems like a good  solution. We have also looked into Majordomo, which
> IgLou will administer  for additional monthly charges. We would like
> to save money.
>
> Can Mailman be installed alongside our website? In other words, is it
> self  contained? Can its bin and lib files, for example, be installed
> in our web  directory, and still allow Mailman to function?

    What you are asking is exactly what I am planning on doing here.  We
have a mail server (Solaris 8 box) which is currently being used as
mailman's website.  What we are going to do is to NFS mount the mailman
directory in our webserver (a Solaris 9 box) so it can be accessed
there. Probably, the best way to do it is kinda like what you infered:
install mailman in the webserver and then automount the data
directories. I'll be playing with that and keep you all posted with my
adventures.