[Mailman-Users] Recent AOL thread

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Thu Oct 21 15:59:13 CEST 2004

>>  But the same error message over multiple mailings for *all* AOL list
>>  members over a week or more would indicate that it is correct.
>
> 	Maybe.  Remember that I used to work there.

Brad's right here. I've dealt with this stuff and AOL enough to be able
to confirm they don't always have their act together. it's gotten
better over the last year or so, mostly, I think, because they're
shedding subscribers at a huge pace and shrinking down to a size their
infrastructure and staff can actually get  a handle on.

But whenever AOL acts up for me and users complain, I always tell them
the same thing -- to move to a competent ISP. AOL's got a tough job,
given their size and the sheer volume of spam that they have to fight
off. but they've done a lousy job of dealing with it, and it's a job
that badly impacts their users (and they don't tell their users what
they do or give users a chance to evaluate their actions, unlike places
like Earthlink). And they've done a horrible job of teaching their
users how to use the system. I finally got tired of constantly getting
bogus spam reports and feeling like AOL was making me responsible for
teaching their users how to use the system -- instead, I tell them to
move to a competent ISP instead....

I've given up trying to fix AOL's problems for them. They're just not
worth the hassle to me any more.