[Mailman-Users] Recent AOL Thread

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Wed Oct 20 20:44:28 CEST 2004

Over on the majordomo list, there was this relatively specific note from AOL appended.
Note that this limit is not a blanket policy.

> Due to restrictions the AOL has put in place for the handling of inbound
> email they have imposed new requirements for internet service providers
> globally.
>
> Email from your server to AOL is now being routed through a filtering
> server.
>
> The restrictions are as follows:
>
> 1) Emails to AOL or including AOL addresses in the recipient field may
> not be sent to more than 5 recipients.
> 2) Emails from invalid users such as "nobody" will not be delivered.
> 3) All emails going to AOL will be scanned for viruses.
> 4) All emails going to AOL will be compared against a spam database to
> ensure that spams are not being delivered to their network.
>
> Attempts to curcumvent these restrictions will not be tolerated and any
> customer discovered doing this will be terminated immediately. If you
> wish to send to more than 5 recipients you will need to use maillist
> software that is capable of breaking the messages into smaller groups.
>
> These requirements only affect email sent to AOL users or bulk emails
> that contain AOL addresses in the list.

It'd be nice if this was all cut and dried and you could figure out how to deal with...but
if it were, that's exeactly what the spammers would do...so I guess these big ISPs are
being purposefully vague.
--
====
Stewart Dean, Unix System Admin, Henderson Computer Resources