[Mailman-Users] Recent AOL thread

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Oct 20 19:32:21 CEST 2004

John Fleming wrote:

>> There is no "specific" answer to this problem. Your IP address (the one
>> list mail is coming from) is being blocked by AOL. The link in the
>> above error message provides some information as does FAQ article 3.42.
>
>I don't think so, Mark.  This is an "announce-only" list, and the sender is
>non-US, I think on a dialup.  Let's say the sender's IP or ISP is on the
>blacklist.  Even though the list mail is finally coming from my server,
>couldn't the presence of his IP or ISP in the message headers be enough to
>trigger the blacklist?  - john

Yes, individuals can also be blacklisted by AOL. For example, I have a
subscriber on a list who can post from either of two addresses, say A
and B. When he posts from A there is no problem. When he posts from B,
every non-digest AOL subscriber bounces, but hes only done this a few
times so no one has been disabled and I haven't seen the actual bounce
message to know if it is the same as yours. I guessed it was based on
address B in the From: header, but it could be an IP in a Received:
header I suppose.

You could easily determine whether it is your Mailman IP or the sender
by posting to the list from another address.