[Mailman-Users] Some basic questions

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Oct 13 06:06:46 CEST 2004

B.G. Mahesh wrote:

>I was going through http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/features.html
>We have been using Lyris [very old version]. I am considering moving to
>Mailman. I have few basic questions,
>
>1. If the member's email id is bad, will mailman put that id on hold after
>"N" number of bounces?

Yes, Mailman does bounce processing. Parameters are adjustable by list.

>2. Is there anyway for me to import old emails into the list [for building
>the archives]

Yes, answered by Hugh Esco in a post with Subject: Replies to Several
Questions

>3. Are the archives searchable?

Not without patching, but there is a standard patch to integrate
ht://Dig for searching archives. There is also a FAQ and other
information about integrating Namazu to search archives.

See the FAQ http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py - articles 1.11
and 4.8.

>4. If we have reasonably good bandwidth [about 1 MB] how many emails can be
>sent out per hour?

This depends on lots of things. Search the FAQ for performance.