[Mailman-Users] Mailman URL and listinfo

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Sun Oct 10 23:57:32 CEST 2004

On 10 Oct 2004, at 21:54, Fred Look and Brenda Carson wrote:

> hello
>
> I have sought guidence from this list several times on the problem i am
> having but recieved no help.
>
> Is it possible that I am somehow in breach of some list eticate and
> people
> are just ignoreing me ?
>
> or maby I am unique in being the only person on the planet with this
> problem ?

No, but as you are not paying for a service you kinda take what you can
get like the rest of us do. Or you could be that unique person you
allude to.

> anyway here again is my question which is possibly related to this
> theme
> (mailman URL and listinfo)
>
> why do my list admin pages 2.1.5 while working fine from outside (ie
> www.mydomain.com)
> wont work properly when using the local network address (ie
> 192.168.x.x)

Your problem is probably that Mailman is trying to determine which
servername or virtual hostname is being addressed by requests by
examining CGI environment variables, set by Apache mod_cgi and
associated with the request. It may well be looking for a Host: header
which will be absent when the web browser uses the private IP number
rather than an FQDN.

When the web browser addresses the server using the explicit private IP
numbers this aspect of Mailman's computations probably does not work as
you want; presumably your have told Mailman its default URL and Mail
host are FQDNs that do not resolve to the private IP number of the
server so you might expect some problems.

You do not say explicitly, but it sounds as though you are running the
Mailman sever on a private IP number behind a NAPT firewall, that the
FQDN of the server is associated with the public IP number of your
external interface, and your firewall is forwarding connections to
certain ports associated with the external IP number to the "hidden"
internal server.

This sort of setup can lead to some degree of identity confusion for
the server sitting behind the firewall.

Is there some specific reason why you do not want allow the connections
to the server, those from inside the firewall to be directed at the
external FQDN/public IP number? There is no in-principle reason why
other machines using private IP numbers behind the same firewall cannot
make NAPT'ed requests to the public server address. Appropriately
configured the firewall would simply loop these back at its external
interface, passing them back into the web server but with the request's
Host: header set to a useful value. You can always use order/deny/allow
directives in your httpd.conf to restrict access to the Mailman CGI
scripts if you only want them to be run for machines inside your
domain.

> Fred
>

> On Monday 11 October 2004 04:06, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> John Fleming wrote:

>>> when

>>> the

>>> Thanks for that, Mark, but it seems a bit more complicated:
>>>
>>> 1.  First, I am using virtual hosts, and I would like my lists to be
>>> domain-specific.  Thus I need VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW to be ON.  It
>>> turns
>>> out that my mm_cfg.py file didn't contain that directive - (It must
>>> be ON
>>> by default.)  I did add it to my mm_cfg.py and turned it OFF.  Of
>>> course,
>>> all of my lists appeared, but I lost domain-specificity.
>>>
>>> 2.  Seemingly contrary to the FAQ explanation, I only have the
>>> "problem"
>>> for -one- of my domains.  More specifically, with and without the www