[Mailman-Users] Moderators notice of new request Problem

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Oct 8 21:34:13 CEST 2004

Fred wrote:

>I am using Mailman 2.1.5 on my host service (http://www.webhostingspace.net).
>
>Just added and configurated a new mailing list but I am having a problem
>I can't solve.
>
>I want to receive email notifications of new subscribers so that I can know of what is pending for approval. I have checked with "Yes" the options:
>
>1. Should the list moderators get immediate notice of new requests, as well as daily notices about collected ones?
>
>2. Should administrator get notices of subscribes and unsubscribes?
>
>3. Send mail to poster when their posting is held for approval?
>
>But still, I am not getting a notification. I only receive notification of new subscribers and unsubscribers (once I have approved this in the "Tend to pending moderator requests" dialog).
>
>Can anyone help me with this?

I was hoping someone else could answer this. I don't know what's wrong.
Setting item 1. above to Yes should be sufficient. It works for me.

If you have access to the mailman log files you could check the "smtp"
log to see if the message is being sent. In my case there are from 2
to 4 entries depending on whether subscription requires confirmation
and approval or just approval and whether the subscription request
comes via web or e-mail. In the simplest case of approval only and
subscription from the web, there will be two entries that look like

Oct 08 12:12:29 2004 (1524)
<mailman.0.1097262747.18169.list_name at example.com> smtp for 1 recips,
completed in 0.055 seconds

They both have the same Message-Id. The first is for Mailman sending
the notice to list_name-owner and the second is the resending of the
list_name-owner e-mail to the actual owner.

The presence of these entries indicates the notice was sent and the
non-receipt was for other reasons in which case the mailman smtp-error
and bounce logs may help as well as the MTA logs.

Of course, if you don't have access to these logs, none of this is
helpful.