[Mailman-Users] More help - please

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Oct 5 21:52:28 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 15:33, Brad Knowles wrote:
> 	I don't know if this is the only problem, but Python 2.3 is
> required for use with Mailman 2.1.5.  See
> <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq05.008.htp>.

Either that FAQ entry is misleading or not quite true (no pun intended
:-). It seems to suggest that the need for python 2.3 comes from
unresolved symbols True and False. But according to the python doc (see
below) the symbols were added in 2.2.1 but with a different type, but it
should still work. We (Red Hat) have several distributions that have
2.2.x installed and successfully run mailman 2.1.5. Perhaps I've
misinterpreted 2.3 requirement issue cited in the FAQ.

http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/section-bool.html

A Boolean type was added to Python 2.3. Two new constants were added to
the __builtin__ module, True and False. (True and False constants were
added to the built-ins in Python 2.2.1, but the 2.2.1 versions are
simply set to integer values of 1 and 0 and aren't a different type.)
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>