[Mailman-Users] Please help

Layne Meier lmeier at ajc.com
Tue Oct 5 16:49:10 CEST 2004

I am very new to Mailman - we've been a long-time user of Majordomo.  I
like the idea of being able to manage lists with a web interface,
rather than something such as Webmin.

I installed Postfix, Apache and Mailman on a test system (Sun Sparc,
Solaris 8).  I got all to compile and install properly.

However, and I have to apologize because I know you all have probably
discussed this a million times over by now, but I can't get Apache to
work and recognize the cgi-bin directory.

Here's a cut and paste from my httpd.conf file...

ServerName...
     ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin
     Alias /pipermail/ /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/
Logs and ht directory...
     <Directory "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/">
       AllowOverride None
       Options None
       Order allow,deny
       Allow from all
     </Directory>
     <Directory "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public/">
       Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks
       AllowOverride none
       Order allow,deny
       Allow from all
     </Directory>

When I try to access my site via http using a URL similar to this:
http://www.mysite.tld/mailman/create

I get a 404 File Not Found error

Not Found

The requested URL /mailman/create was not found on this server

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Layne Meier
Atlanta Newspapers, Inc.