[Mailman-Users] Posts Not Being Sent

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Oct 1 11:23:36 CEST 2004

At 7:28 PM -0700 2004-09-30, Mike Dillinger wrote:

>  I have my domain set up on a shared web hosting (VPS, Virtual Private
>  Hosting) service.  Many users have gotten Mailman working by themselves (no
>  sysadmin help).  I am missing a step and I don't know what it is.

	Well, considering that you've looked at the FAQ entry on this
issue and you still haven't resolved the problem, I'd say that the
next step is to turn up the level of debugging you're getting in your
MTA.  You should also consider contacting your provider, since they
will know a lot more about your particular hardware/OS/software
configuration, etc....

>  I have it all installed and it seems to be working fine - except for one
>  thing.  When I send messages, my domain's catch-all alias catches the
>  postings instead of Mailman.  The Mailman web interface is working fine.  I
>  have re-traced the steps in the installation process a few times and can't
>  seem to find what I'm missing.

	Sounds like the aliases haven't been set up properly, or you
don't have the mm-handler stuff installed correctly.  I don't have
first-hand experience here, but I don't know for sure that the
mm-handler stuff will work in a virtual private server environment.

>  In smtp-failure, I'm seeing relaying denied errors.  The other logs look
>  kind of weird too, but I'm not sure which information would be most useful
>  to share.

	Therein lies the problem.  We can't tell you which information
will be most useful, because you don't usually figure out what is
useful until you see everything and then spot the problem.

	Afterwards, it's easy to figure out which parts of the logs you
should have been looking at.  ;-)

>  I installed Mailman v2.1.5 via source.  The MTA is sendmail and it's
>  running Red Hat Fedora.

	Which method of integration with sendmail did you choose?  Are
you using aliases or mm-handler?

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755