[Mailman-Users] Re: error when running "arch"

Will Yardley william+mm at hq.newdream.net
Fri Oct 1 00:53:03 CEST 2004

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 02:41:16PM +0900, Jim Tittsler wrote:
> On Sep 30, 2004, at 03:16, Will Yardley wrote:

> > Anything further I can do to debug this? Any idea what the
> > "MemoryError" refers to?

> How large are your archives?

The mbox file is about 55M
The whole indexed archive directory is currently about 194M

The box does only have 256 M of RAM. So what you're saying make sense.

> I think Pipermail still tries to slurp the entire archive into
> memory when arch regenerates the archives.  That is why arch accepts
> the --start=N and --end=M options.  You can run arch multiple
> times (only the first with --wipe), specifying different blocks of
> messages to process in each execution.

Thanks. I'm try that. Are the archives ever rebuilt in their entirety
automatically (i.e., do I need to worry about this process failing on
its own)? In this case it doesn't really matter since the list has moved
elsewhere anyway.

--
"Since when is skepticism un-American?
Dissent's not treason but they talk like it's the same..."