[Mailman-Users] Stopping Spam

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Tue Nov 30 20:32:18 CET 2004

On 11/30/2004 2:26, "Douglas McCarroll" <douglas at brightworks.com> wrote:

> It really surprises me that the vast majority of lists (including this one!)
> blithely send out posters' email addresses to all subscribers. Of course,
> having
> an anonymous list means that posters have to sign their emails, or no one
> knows
> who sent them.  :)

Mailing lists are intended (most of them) to facilitate communication.
Hiding addresses doesn't help do that.

Wise mailing list subscribers either use old (pre-spam) addresses which have
long since been ruined anyhow (such as the one I'm using in this list) or
throw-away addresses from one of the free webmail providers for subscribing
to lists.

One approach is to encourage your list subscribers to do the same.

Despite the fact that jwblist at olympus.net is widely available (1510 hits in
Google just now), there are only 15 messages sitting in my Spam folder
(purged after 7 days) at the moment.  And a trickle into the In box, some
legit and some spam my ISP missed (at this instant, there's a weekly mailing
list and a fraudulant lottery winner message [which came through tiscali.fr]
in the In box).

  --John