[Mailman-Users] Errors in Mailman

Terry Allen hmag at ozemail.com.au
Fri Nov 26 05:03:24 CET 2004

>Terry Allen <hmag at ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>1 - If I make a change to mm_cfg.py, to refresh the config, is it
>>sufficient to from the command line simply run bin/mailmanctl reload
>
>   bin/mailmanctl restart
>
>(not reload)
>
>>2 - In my Postfix logs, this appeared - fatal: open
>>/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases.db: Permission denied - could someone
>>let me know what permissions should be applied to this.
>
>I don't know for sure. README.POSTFIX says owner and group should be
>the mailman user and group, but doesn't mention permissions. It
>appears that bin/genaliases creates these files with permissions
>rw-rw-r--.
>
>>3 - If I create a list from the command line, I am successful in
>>creating the list - however, if I try to create a list from the web
>>interface, I get this error: Error: Unknown virtual host:
>>heard.com.au - now, in mm_cfg.py, I have the following lines:
>>DEFAULT_URL = 'http://heard.com.au/mailman/'
>>OWNERS_CAN_DELETE_THEIR_OWN_LISTS = Yes
>>add_virtualhost = ( 'heard.com.au' , 'heard.com.au' )
>>Could anyone suggest where I have gone wrong please - my web
>>interface was working at first, but obviously something I have
>>changed has stuffed up.
>
>This is telling you that 'heard.com.au' is not a key in the
>VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary. Your add_virtualhost line is wrong. It
>should be
>
>add_virtualhost('heard.com.au', 'heard.com.au')
>
>No "=".
>
>Also, DEFAULT_URL is obsolete. You should be using DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN.
>This should be OK from Defaults.py -
>
>   DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'
>
>Also, use DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST. If these are correct
>in Defaults.py, i.e. both = 'heard.com.au', then the only thing of the
>above you need in mm_cfg.py is
>
>   OWNERS_CAN_DELETE_THEIR_OWN_LISTS = Yes
>
>If these are not correct in Defaults.py, then, in addition, you need in
>mm_cfg.py
>
>   DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'heard.com.au'
>   DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'heard.com.au'
>   VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
>   add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)

Hi again,
	Many thanks for the reply there. The settings in my
Defaults.py had picked up the hostname, so I set it to the correct
name & everything's working now, including delete.
	Regarding the permissions for aliases.db, chmod 664 has done
the trick. I think the issue that as posted a day or so ago regarding
being unable to delete a list using the web interface on OSX Server
is the incorrect permissions for that file as I had the same error
until I had changed the permissions for that file.
	Thanks again for the reply.
--

	Bye for now, Terry Allen
hEARd

Postal Address:
	hEARd, 26B Glenning Rd,	Glenning Valley, NSW 2261, Australia
Internet -
	WWW: http://heard.com.au http://itavservices.com
EMAIL: hmag at ozemail.com.au
Phone: Australia - 02 4388 1400 / International - + 61 2 43881400
Mobile: Australia - 04 28881400 / International - 61 4 28881400