[Mailman-Users] New Mailman user - Contribs.Org (SME/E-Smith) addon - 2.1.3 Bug?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Nov 23 10:13:31 CET 2004

At 9:51 AM +0100 2004-11-23, Brad Knowles wrote:

>  	If you're concerned about privacy issues, I'd encourage you to upgrade
>  to version 2.1.5 and perhaps turn off the archive function, or at least
>  make sure that people can't download the non anti-spammed version of
>  the archives (see
>  <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.034.htp>).

	Of course, you should also investigate the various "privacy"
settings available from the "Privacy options..." page from the web
administration interface for your list.  For example, at the bottom
of this page is an option with the description "Who can view
subscription list? (Details for private_roster)", with a setting that
probably defaults to "List members".  You might want to change this
to be "List admin only".

	If you don't anyone to see the list being advertised when they
visit your listinfo page, you'll want to change that option at the
top of the page.

	I'd encourage you to explore all the various options for the
mailing list settings, to see what impact they might have on privacy,
etc....  Once you better understand what you can do with Mailman and
how it works, you'll have a better idea of what potential privacy
issues there may still be that should be addressed.

	Before upgrading to version 2.1.5, you should also take a look at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq05.008.htp>
and
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq05.012.htp>.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755