AW: [Mailman-Users] Unable to get Mailman up and running with qmail/vpopmail

DIGITAL FOR YOU - Alexander Schwethelm info at digital4u.de
Sun Nov 21 15:43:29 CET 2004

I really tried a lot until now and I have read README.QMAIL numerous times.
I agree that everything looks like an alias problem, but if I want to solve
this ever, I have to start investigating.

I ran the script mentioned in the README.QMAIL file.  To clarify where
should those aliases be created?  In "/path/to/mailman" or in
"/path/to/vpopmail/domains" ;-)

Also isn't there a way to handle all this without aliases.  The tutorials I
read didn't work with aliases, but added "|/usr/bin/python
/var/mailman/qmail-to-mailman.py" to .qmail-default.  This .qmail-default is
supposed to reside in the mailman folder, but I also tried to put this in
the apropriate vpopmail folder.  I've added the lists.domain.tld, using
vqadmin.

My problem might be that I don't know for sure how all this works
internally.  That's what I believe and please correct me as this might lead
me the right direction...

1. I am sending a mail to "example at lists.domain.tld"
2. Qmail/vpopmail know the domain "lists.domain.tld" and take care of it
3. The user "example" is not known at "lists.domain.tld" so see what's in
.qmail-default
4. From there the file qmail-to-mailman.py is called using python
5. Mailman should handle everything from there

...but, that's not how it works.

Could this also be a rights problem?  In one tutorial I read to compile
mailman with "--with-mail-gid=mailman", in the oter I read to compile it
with "--with-mail-gid=vchkpw" (the group used by qmail/vpopmail). What is
the correct way and how does this influence the process.

Sorry, I know a lot of questions and I would like to say thank you in
advance for any support given :-)

Best regards,

Alex