[Mailman-Users] Email to list rejected

Tom Barton trb at sgi.com
Sun Nov 21 05:12:28 CET 2004

For some reason email to my list is being rejected.  I've set up a list with
my email address as the only member.  When I send email to the list I get:

<msd_60 at foo.sgi.com>
    (reason: 550 <msd_60 at foo.sgi.com>: Recipient address rejected: User
unknown in local recipient table)

I'm using:

foo:trb $ rpm -aq|grep mailman
mailman-2.1.4-83.4
foo:trb $ rpm -aq|grep postfix
postfix-2.1.1-1.4
foo:trb $ uname -a
Linux foo 2.6.5-7.104-default #1 Wed Jul 28 16:42:13 UTC 2004 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux

Mailman and postfix were installed via rpm.

There are no entries in /etc/postfix/access.  Should there be?

Where/how is access to sending email to a list managed?  How particular is
it in regard to address matching?  In other words, does every part of an
address have to match the address in the list, or does it just look at the
user id?

The machine is accepting email from the same address when it is sent to a
user on the machine, but it is rejected when sent to a Mailman list.

I thought this would be in the FAQ, but I can't find it.  If you can help me
figure this out, I'll add it.

--
Tom Barton               email: trb at sgi.com      _
SGI Systems Engineer                           _| ~~.