[Mailman-Users] Member and password database

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sat Nov 20 00:02:23 CET 2004

At 2:02 PM +0000 2004-11-19, PeteBell wrote:

>>  I'm not actually convinced of how well it would work - because mailman is an
>>  integral part of they system it physically watches the inbound mail queues
>>  for messages bound for you.. The question you need to ask them really is -
>>  has this ever been done under cPanel, where a system wide installation
>>  already exists?

	I can't speak for the way that cPanel has modified Mailman, but I
can assure you that the standard version is not integrated at all
into the OS and it does not watch the inbound mail queues.  It can
run on a wide variety of OSes, and so long as certain minimum
requirements are met, it doesn't care whether you run it on X or Y.
As for the inbound mail queues, those are all handled by the MTA,
which is responsible for handing off messages to Mailman.

	To be honest, this sounds like a complete load of bollocks, from
someone who doesn't understand Thing One about how Mailman actually
works.  Of course, I could be wrong, but if that is true then I'm
surprised that the cPanel folks would still call the result
"Mailman", because they would have modified the code so much as to be
virtually unrecognizable.

>  So. Now it's back to you guys:  Has anyone actually done this when there
>  is already a shared installation under cPanel, and if so, can you give me
>  a hand-holding guide to how it's done for a novice?

	If it's cPanel, there's not much we can do for you.  You're more
likely to be able to get help from other cPanel users than anyone
else.

	See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.011.htp>
for more information.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755