[Mailman-Users] mailman gets stuck, stops sending messages

Steven J. Owens mailman-user at darksleep.com
Wed Nov 17 17:29:35 CET 2004

Mark,

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 01:54:17PM -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> >I can't see a mailmanctl daemon with:
> >     ps -aux| grep mailmanctl |grep -v grep
>
> Note that on Red Hat 7.3, with an 80 column screen, I have to do
>      ps -auxw| grep mailmanctl |grep -v grep
> in order to see anything.

     Even with -auxw I get nothing.

     However, I just sent a message out to a mailing list and it went
through properly.

> There should be a "mailmanctl -s -q start" running that was started by
> /etc/init.d/mailman. It in turn should have started all the qrunner
> processes which should also be running (a total of eight qrunners
> assuming no slicing). If a qrunner stops, mailmanctl should notice and
> restart it, but if mailmanctl stops too then so does everything except
> receipt and queueing of messages.

     Where is mailmanctl normally supposed to be started from?  I
don't see any reference to mailmanctl in /etc/cron.d/mailman.

     I do see mailmanctl in /etc/init.d/mailman.  Does that mean that
the mailmanctl process should be started on system startup and should
remain running until system shutdown?

     I still want to solve the problem, but meanwhile, would there be
any negative effect to adding an hourly cron job to restart
mailmanctl?  Or perhaps to run a script to check that
/var/lib/mailman/data/master-qrunner.pid is a valid process ID, else
restart mailmanctl?

> >The only thing I can find in the logs that looks suspicious is:
> >qrunner:
> >Nov 11 16:19:27 2004 (1060) OutgoingRunner qrunner started.
> >Nov 11 16:19:27 2004 (1061) IncomingRunner qrunner started.
> >Nov 11 18:30:26 2004 (1060) OutgoingRunner qrunner caught SIGTERM.  Stopping.
> >Nov 11 18:30:26 2004 (1060) OutgoingRunner qrunner exiting.
> >Nov 11 18:30:26 2004 (1061) IncomingRunner qrunner caught SIGTERM.  Stopping.
> >Nov 11 18:30:33 2004 (1061) IncomingRunner qrunner exiting.
>
> We don't know why the incoming and outgoing runners are  receiving
> SIGTERM, but this will cause the problem because they will quit and
> the master won't restart them. See
>
>    bin/mailmanctl --help

     I've just learned something new... while I was trying to check for
mailmanctl again, I got:

17:07:30, puff at darksleep:~> ps -auxw| grep mailmanctl
bash: pipe error: Too many open files in system

     Could be the system is running out of filehandles and mailman's
falling over as a result?

     Could mailman be consuming a whole lot of filehandles?

--
Steven J. Owens
puff at darksleep.com

 Take it all with a grain of salt." - http://darksleep.com/notablog