[Mailman-Users] How do I remove an owner from the command line?

G James Jones gjjones1 at usi.edu
Tue Nov 9 16:17:00 CET 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 06:25, Jim Tittsler wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2004, at 02:15, G James Jones wrote:
>
> > Recently I got a request to remove the owner of a couple of our lists.
> >
> > I know that I can do this from the web, but is there a way to remove
> > list owners from the command line?
>
> You can use bin/withlist to manipulate the mailing list object.  Use
> the command line option to lock the list, use standard Python syntax to
> modify the object to suit (getting clues about variable names from the
> web interface and Defaults.py), and then Save() the modified object.
> (Making backup copies of the list object before making modifications is
> always a good idea.)
>
> The 'owner' variable is a list of strings.
>
> $ bin/withlist -l mylist
>  >>> print m.owner
> ['owner1 at example.com', 'owner2 at example.com']
>  >>> del m.owner[m.owner.index('owner1 at example.com')]
>  >>> print m.owner
> ['owner2 at example.com']
>  >>> m.owner.insert(0, 'newkid at example.com')
>  >>> print m.owner
> ['newkid at example.com', 'owner2 at example.com']
>  >>> m.Save()
>  >>> {ctrl-D}
>
> Run 'bin/withlist --h' for a description of how you can use the -r
> switch to make that into a command line script you can call with
> withlist.  (There are many examples in the mailman-users archives.)

That looks like the stuff I was looking for.  I will give it a shot.

> You can also use bin/config_list (check both the -i and -o switches) to
> get human readable/editable information, rather than bin/withlist's
> more "programatic" style.

One question with using bin/config_list?  If I output the original
configuration with -o, then change the configuration (adding and/or
removing owners and moderators) and then use the modified config file
with bin/config_list -i to apply the new configuration back to the list,
will I damage anything?

config_list looks like an easier route until my python abilities get up
to being able to extend (using withlist) mailman for my personal needs.

I just want to make sure that importing a modified config over an
existing config isn't going to cause more headaches than it relieves.

Thanks for the prompt help.

Jim Jones
--
Jim Jones