[Mailman-Users] Encoding problems

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Nov 6 00:53:07 CET 2004

Asbjørn Ulsberg wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:02:11 -0700, Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:
>
>> The text in the "info" box is not HTML despite the confusing
>> documentation. It is text only. Any included "<", ">" or "&"
>> characters are escaped.

The above statement is more or less correct for 2.1.4, but not for 2.1.5

>Although I have not edited this page myself, I understand it so as the
>text has not been in HTML in any way. Plain text has been entered, but
>still non-ASCII characters have been double-escaped. Why they are escaped
>in the first place is a mystery; why they are escaped twice is
>incomprihensible.

See
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=870028&group_id=103&atid=100103
for more info on this issue.

>> You can replace the entire template as above if you wish. See
>> http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.048.htp
>> for info about editing other templates beyond the three that can be
>> edited this way.
>
>Okay, thanks. I don't understand the procedure quite well, though. If I
>edit <what?>, will I be able to change the outputed HTML and CSS and thus
>be able to change the look of (all) the Mailman pages (including the
>archives)?

I don't think I can explain this process better than the FAQ article,
but the Mailman installation contains a templates/ directory with many
national language subdirectories which in turn contain templates for
many (but not yet all) Mailman generated e-mails and web pages. For
example, there is a listinfo.html file (in each language) which is the
template for the listinfo page.

You can modify these and place modified templates in one of three
places (don't modify the original files) as described in the FAQ
depending on whether the modified template should be used for a single
list, for all lists in a single domain or site wide. By so doing, you
can change the look of many pages including the archives, but not the
list admin pages or the user options login page for example.