[Mailman-Users] {Oink!!} Pig at the wedding question/diatribe

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Sat Nov 6 00:32:08 CET 2004

On 11/5/2004 14:02, "Chuq Von Rospach" <chuqui at plaidworks.com> wrote:

> I know when folks who are involved with open source projects say "hey!
> start coding!" it pisses people off. I sympathize but I sympathize from
> both sides, and the bottom line is that's the reality. It's not that
> developers aren't open to feedback or suggestions, because we all are,
> and knowing the core Mailman folks the way I do, I feel safe saying
> they agree with you and wish they could do it, too (but we all have
> lives, or pretend to).

And, for many projects, there are many of us who definitely should NOT be
asked to code.  The intersection of project and those of us in the category
varies.

I should never be asked to code in C (or C++).  I don't like C (and I've
never written any C to execute in the Unix/Linux environment).  Until
sometime shortly after 1995, I could still say "I've been around computers
more than twice as long as C has."  I did become reasonably OK with C and
C++ in the Macintosh environment (pre-Carbon) but put it aside, and I can't
even sensibly be asked to do C (C++, Objective C) in the current Mac
environment.

Of course, Mailman is in Python...that's a different situation.  But will a
single-binary Mailman still be in Python?

Some people who shouldn't code should document, instead.  Lots of projects
could use that (including commercial ones).  Or coordinate.

  --John