[Mailman-Users] How can I manually delete held msg?

Andy Cravens acravens at uen.org
Wed Nov 3 18:52:20 CET 2004

Is there a way to manually delete held messages from a list's config.db
file?  I periodically get held messages that will not delete because
they contain a sequence of characters that cause the discard function to
blow up.  You know, the 'ol "We're sorry, we hit a bug!" error screen.

In the past I've solved this by determining the date of the bad e-mail
and restoring the config.db file from tape backup to the day before the
e-mail was received.  This is getting to be too much.

I've searched the archives and found a few posts on this but no
solutions.  I saw one post from Barry Warsaw that described a procedure
using bin/withlist but I didn't understand it.

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/1999-July/001720.html

I don't know how to "lock" a list and I don't want to edit the list's
attributes.  I just want to delete the bad e-mail message.  Any tips
would be appreciated.

I'm using mailman 1.0 (upgrading next month)