[Mailman-Users] Sender details and anonymous list

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Nov 1 12:17:40 CET 2004

At 1:45 PM +0900 2004-11-01, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>       The address itself is _not_ optional in Internet mail, and the
>  "official" Mailman distribution will not support omitting it, I'm sure
>  (ie, I would bet a large sum of money against a rather small amount of
>  money -- it's not my decision to make).

	You are right.  The real e-mail address is not optional with
Internet e-mail, and there is absolutely nothing that can be done
about that.  If you want Internet e-mail, then you have to have a
real e-mail address.  Otherwise, get something else.

>  Since most of the house-broken clients used on Windows and the Mac
>  support displaying only the "real name" or comment, just sneak into
>  the Biggest Boss's office and set his MUA to do that.  You'll hear no
>  more complaints.<wink>

	Clearly, this is a presentation issue.  Stephen has the right
idea here that changing the boss's MUA so that it displays what he
wants is the right way to solve this problem.

	Of course, then this leads to other issues, such as people who
may set their e-mail address to one thing, but put something else in
the comments.  For example, the e-mail address might be
"miles at jamkit.com", but the comment might be "Biggest Boss".  Now,
anyone can spoof e-mail coming from anyone, without changing their
e-mail address, only their comments.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755