[Mailman-Users] Mailman adding extra reply-to address

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Nov 1 01:35:30 CET 2004

Fran Le Bouleix wrote:

>I have a problem with one of my lists:
>
>The list is set up to send replies to a Specific address:
>name at listname.com
>When the owner sends a message to the list, the reply-to headers are set
>to both
>the list address (listname at lists101.his.com) + the specific adress
>(name at listname.com)
>
>I asked the owner to send a copy of the message she is sending to the
>list, and here is what we have:
>
>- headers of the message sent directly to us:

>Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 23:15:38 -0400
>Subject: Oprah/10 Rites/Virginia Update/Texas Campaign/Kentucky survey -
> 10/04
>From: List Name=?ISO-8859-1?B?riA=?=<name at listname.com>
>To: listname=?ISO-8859-1?B?riA=?=List <listname at lists101.his.com>
>CC: Heller <support at his.com>
>

>- headers of the message received as a list member:

>Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 23:15:38 -0400
>To: listname=?ISO-8859-1?B?riA=?=List <listname at lists101.his.com>
>Cc: Heller <support at his.com>
>From: listname at lists101.his.com
>Subject: =?iso-8859-1?q?=5Blistname=AE=5D_?= Oprah/10 Rites/Virginia
> Update/Texas Campaign/Kentucky survey - 10/04

<headers below Reply-To: snipped>

>And the list config says:
>
># legal values are:
>#    0 = "Poster"
>#    1 = "This list"
>#    2 = "Explicit address"
>reply_goes_to_list = 2
>
>reply_to_address = 'name at listname.com'
>

>Where does the second reply-to address comes from when the email is sent
>via Mailman????
>Any Mailman variable I should check?

What is the setting for first_strip_reply_to? This should be Yes (or
1). If it is set to No, the explicit reply to will be added to the
incoming Reply-To: instead of replacing it.

I know the message you received directly doesn't show a Reply-To:, but
th list message has an X-Mailman-Approved-At: header indicating it
went through an approval process. Maybe a Reply-To: got added there.

In any case, make sure that first_strip_reply_to is Yes, and if it
wasn't, I think that will fix the problem.