[Mailman-Users] Upgrade from 2.0.11 to 2.1.5

Young, Darren Darren.Young at gsb.uchicago.edu
Fri May 28 22:41:54 CEST 2004

I'm in the middle of planning an upgrade of our mailman installation and
was looking for some pointers. The current version is 2.0.11 and I'm
planning on going to the current 2.1.5. I'm actually moving the
installation from an older desktop system to a newer server at which
time I want to upgrade to the newer version. The target machine is a
RedHat Enterprise 3.0 AS server with everything up2date(d). Stock RH
sendmail. All this machine is doing is listmail.

First question on the move of machines, should I a) rsync everything
over to the new server and just go or b) install from scratch on the new
server. Any advice here would be great. What about the old lists? Simply
copy the lists/* directory over? I tried the fresh install on the new
server then copied over lists/* to the new machine (and /etc/aliases)
and all seems to be ok so far.

Next, on the upgrade. Same basic questions, should I a) upgrade the
previous version on disk or b) start from scratch and somehow import the
lists over?

Anyone who's done this type of upgrade, advice and pointers would be
much appreciated.

Thanks,

Darren Young
Senior UNIX Administrator