[Mailman-Users] how to cripple a list?

Pat Riehecky prieheck at iwu.edu
Fri May 21 21:23:12 CEST 2004

basiclly i am wondering how to set some sitewide defaults for a list that
cannot be changed.  ie. i want all lists to always have private archives
and always have the list headers, never have the news gateway options
presented and the like.  I am asking this merely because several not so
computer literate people will be put in charge of their own lists and
there are some defaults that make more sense then others as nobody should
be changing the host_name field since the machiene only has one name and
one address associated with it.

I am not looking for a list of fields to leave accessible or a
recomendation that documentation be provided telling users what not to
change.  we have tried that before and nobody cares because IT always is
able to fix it when they screw it up.  i am hoping that there are just
some directives i can put in mm_cfg.py or another file to edit to make
this happen.

pat

The lines which your eye falls on first here were written last.  Their
purpose is to make yet another attempt to force into the form of a letter
the detailed investigation which is sent to you herewith.  These lines
correspond, then, with the last lines and together they form an envelope,
thus indicating in an external way what interal proofs in many ways will
convince you of, that this is a letter you are reading.
~Kierkegaard