[Mailman-Users] qrunner running away (Mailman 2.0.11)

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Thu May 20 07:28:55 CEST 2004

On 20 May 2004, at 00:14, Paul Smith wrote:

> OK, after more poking and prodding, it looks like the problem is
> related
> to the private/<list>/database directory.
>
> The "article" file here for the list that was causing the problems was
> 44M, the author was 51K, date was 41K, subject was 55K, and thread was
> 42k.
>

> I moved all those files aside and ran qrunner, and it didn't pause
> there
> at all, although it has paused for lesser amounts of time in other
> (also
> larger) lists.
>
> I guess that the size of this list is simply overwhelming the pipermail
> archiver.  Is there anything I can do about this short of disabling
> archives?  Can I update the archives less often, or do it with a
> separate process somehow so that at least my mail keeps flowing even
> while the archive is being updated?

 From the dim and distant past I recollect that reducing the archive
period from say a month to a week for lists that were challenged in
this way could help.

Also, the following link is to a patch that was incorporated into MM
2.1.4 and which addressed an archiving problem which first glance
suggests you may be experiencing. I suspect it is applicable with
modification to the MM 2.0.11 code base but it would probably be much
easier to do the upgrade to 2.1.5:

http://www.openinfo.co.uk/mailman/patches/835332/index.html