[Mailman-Users] autoupdate /etc/aliases?

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Mon May 17 01:11:15 CEST 2004

At 1:42 PM -0500 2004/05/12, Pat Riehecky wrote:

>  I'm playing around a bit with mailman and was wondering how to get it to
>  update /etc/aliases automatically using postfix.

	The directions provided in the README.POSTFIX file worked just fine for us.

>  Here is the stuff from Defaults.py
>  MTA = 'Postfix'
>  POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = []  # not using virtual domains
>  POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postalias
>  POSTFIX_MAP_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postmap'
>
>  and I have symlinked /etc/aliases to mail/aliases, but running addlist as
>  either root or (after chown mailman /etc/mail/aliases) mailman it is not
>  updated.  What obvious thing have I missed?

	You didn't read the instructions completely & correctly.

	The scripts are looking for the mailman aliases file in
/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases, which should be added to the
"alias_maps=" parameter in your postfix/main.cf, but should *NOT* be
in the "alias_database=" parameter -- you want Mailman to
automatically rebuild and regenerate this Mailman-specific aliases
file, not postfix.