[Mailman-Users] (no subject)

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Sun May 16 14:20:10 CEST 2004

On 16 May 2004, at 11:40, roli.ko at gmx.at wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My question is, how mailman work´s? When i send a mail to the list -
> how
> many email´s are sent form the list to the receipt´s?
> For example: 100 list members -> is there sent one email to all
> members or
> an email to every member?

Referring to Mailman 2.1.x.

If the list is set send personalized mail then a separate message is
sent out (passed to the outgoing MTA) for each subscriber, for each
posting to the list.

If list is not set to send personalized mail then the same message goes
to each subscriber (assuming you are using the default SMTPDirect mail
transport) but the number of SMTP transactions to pass a given message
to the outgoing MTA will depend on the number of members and the value
of Mailman's SMTP_MAX_RCPTS configuration variable (normal install
default is 500): check in Defaults.py for more info, assign a different
value to it in mm_cfg.py if you need to.

> i hope everybody understand my question because my english is not very
> good.

Better than my German