[Mailman-Users] mm-handler question

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Fri May 14 21:25:42 CEST 2004

On 14 May 2004, at 09:41, Marcus Sattler wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> Has anyone actually recently gotten mm-handler to run?

Yes it can be made to work. I initially used the Perl script
contribution by David Champion for several months, initially with MM
2.0.13 and later MM 2.1, but had to modify the original Perl script
when I tripped over a defect in it which meant some incoming mail was
lost under a particular set of error conditions. I then re-implemented
the sendmail mailer idea in Python with a closer integration between
the handler and Mailman; mailer logs to the Mailman logs, for instance.
This Python version has been in daily use on the Mailman systems I
manage for 2 or 3 years now.

My Python version is available through either of the links below and
has been maintained through the version MM updates. The main reason I
mention it is that the README.SENDMAIL.mailer documentation file in the
patch may help you as it contains some notes on the sendmail side of
the installation as I experienced it. That said, having gotten it to
work it has been trouble free, has saved a bunch of hassle in
maintaining aliases, but I can barely remember the detail of what I had
to do at the start.

http://www.openinfo.co.uk/mailman/patches/644810/index.html

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=644810&group_id=103&atid=300103

Sorry I cannot be of more help but after years of not understanding
sendmail, I still do not understand it well; in fact the only guy I
know who is a sendmail expert is arguably certifiable.