[Mailman-Users] editing From line in anonymous list

Ari Jort arijort at gmail.com
Tue May 11 23:25:48 CEST 2004

I have a list with the anonymous_list field set to Yes because we
want to rewrite the From and Reply-To headers.

The result of this setting is that the From: line contains the list
email address e.g.:

From: mylist at lists.here.com

However, I would like to have that From line look like this:

From: My List <mylist at lists.here.com>

Where the string "My List" could be from the description field on the list.

Has anyone tried to do that?

This appear to be impossible to set in the configuration, since the
method in Mailman/MailList.py:getListAddress() only returns an email
address.  The code doesn't seem to have a way to get the description.

There could be a function like this:

def getFriendlyListAddress(self);
    return '%s <%s@%s>' % (self.description, self.internal_name(),
self.host_name)

with maybe some extra code to handle the situation where
self.description is blank.

Does this make sense?  Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks,

ari