[Mailman-Users] how to arrange a list with 'affiliate' members

Barnaby Scott barnabydscott at yahoo.com
Tue May 11 18:20:11 CEST 2004

Thanks for your reply. This was a solution I
considered, but as you point out, members of one list
do not have an automatic right to post to a
'sub-list'. As the moderator, I really do not want the
job of subscribing/unsubscribing people to the extra
list.

As for the Reply-To munging, you make some very valid
points, and personally I am, in principle, on the
non-munging side of the debate. However you seriously
underestimate the technophobia of my members! These
people are confused enough - many cannot even grasp
the idea that you use 'Reply' to reply to *any* kind
of email and, conversely, our archive is awash with
replies that are actually new threads (presumably
because they cannot operate their address book and
therefore reply to an old post to save typing the
list's address - despite then having to delete all the
original message!) With the exception of myself and
perhaps 2 other members, I believe they all actively
hate everything to do with computers and only tolerate
them because of what they can do. Not surprising
really, when you learn that we are all hand-makers of
furniture - so by definition have turned our backs on
much that is technical.

So despite my natural inclination, I really do think
there is a place for Reply-To munging, and with
clientele like mine I'm afraid I really can't budge on
it!

In desperation I am now working on a script which acts
as a gate between the two lists. An address which
aliases to this script will be subscribed to both
lists, though only to one topic in 'discuss'. My task
is to make sure that any one message can pass through
the gate to the other list only once so that no loop
could ever be established (even in the event of
X-BeenThere headers being lost). Any tips on this
project would of course be welcome. The principle
seems pretty straightforward, but making it fool-proof
is a bit harder.