[Mailman-Users] Sender modification

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Tue May 11 18:17:23 CEST 2004

Right near the end of
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq02.003.htp
you will find details of a hack to the MM source code for MM 2.1.x
which changes the Sender: header value from listname-bounces to
listname, while leaving the envelope sender as listname-bounces for
bounce handling. The line number referenced in the FAQ is approximate;
depending on what exact version of MM 2.1.x source you are running you
may find the line to be changed a few either way of the one stipulated.

This is an attempt to alleviate the pain that some users (and list
admins) appear to experience with the conflation of From: and Sender:
headers in the displayed From field of the web GUI of some versions of
some Microsoft MUAs. If that is your problem, this hack might help.

With well behaved MTAs that send bounce messages back to the envelope
sender this change should be safe but if it blows up in your face
because a badly behaved MTA sends a bounce back to the Sender header,
which is now the primary list address, and hence to the list itself, it
is on your head; you have been warned.

That said, the change is one-line-simple and easy to reverse if things
start to go pear shaped.