[Mailman-Users] Weird error after upgrade

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Sat May 8 15:20:06 CEST 2004

On 8 May 2004, at 11:42, Michael Mansour wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've recently performed an upgrade from 2.0.13 to 2.1.4, all list and
> such
> were migrated fine.
>
> I run Fedora Core 1. When I try to start the service, I get the
> following
> error:
>
> # service mailman start
> Site list is missing: mailman
>
> and the mailmanctl process doesn't exist.
>
> Going through the startup script it shows the following command is run
> on
> startup:
>
> # /var/mailman/bin/mailmanctl -s -q start
>
> So running that manually also produces the following error:
>
> Site list is missing: mailman
>
> Any ideas what this means? and how I can fix it?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Michael.

Starting with MM 2.1 a site-wide list, default name 'mailman', is
required. This default name can be changed in mm_cfg. py; look in
Defaults.py for more info if you want to do this.

This requirement is made clear in INSTALL documentation files in the
Mailman 2.1.x source releases. Maybe this information did not make into
the installer you are using if you are not installing from source.

mailmanctl will not start the qrunner daemons if this list does not
exist; just like the error message says.

Simple solution is use bin/newlist to create a mailing list called
'mailman'.