[Mailman-Users] URL in List info text is suddenly "quoted" HTML

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu May 6 08:32:40 CEST 2004

Hi,

    Hilton> That's the problem, you "simply edited the list information bit".

Hilton, you misunderstood:N
I did what every list maintainer is supposed to do:

Goto  http://........./mailman/admin/<listname>/general ,
i.e. the "General Options" administrative page,
with its two-column setup of

  Description		  Value
  -----------             -----

with the many "boxes" on the right hand 'Value' side a list
maintainer fills in.  In this case we are talking about the one
simply called  'info' (the fifth from the top).
On its left side, it says

>> An introductory description - a few paragraphs - about the
>> list. It will be included, as html, at the top of the
>> listinfo page. Carriage returns will end a paragraph - see
>> the details for more info.  (Details for info)
			        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
				this is a link
and if click on the "Details for info" I get a page with URL
https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/mailman/admin/ess-help/?VARHELP=general/info

with the content  starting as

>> ESS-help Mailing list Configuration Help
>> info Option

>> info (general): An introductory description - a few
>> paragraphs - about the list. It will be included, as html, at
>> the top of the listinfo page. Carriage returns will end a
>> paragraph - see the details for more info.
>>

>> The text will be treated as html except that newlines will be
>> translated to <br> - so you can use links, preformatted text,
>> etc, but don't put in carriage returns except where you mean
>> to separate paragraphs. And review your changes - bad html
>> (like some unterminated HTML constructs) can prevent display
>> of the entire listinfo page.

Which clearly allows to put into HTML things.

And this used to work for many years -- as said I don't think
it's a mailman problem but a problem of the interaction of
web-server (apache) <-> mailman

When I put in HTML code, I __ of course __ don't use
the '&qout;' or '&lt;' entities that
become used on the ......../listinfo page !

Yes, I know the following (and mentioned it by saying ".. are
quoted in the html source" below).
But I think you forgot that this HTML page is *generated* by
mailman/python from some "list database" (into which I haven't
looked).