[Mailman-Users] No module named Japanese

Poythress, Lynn apoythre at skymail.csus.edu
Tue May 4 19:28:23 CEST 2004

Hi,

I'm a new subscriber and am having a problem installing Mailman 2.1.4.
I am trying to install it on HP-UX 11.00.  I was able to download Python
2.3.3 from HP's porting site.  I was able to successfully run
'configure' for Mailman.  When I try and run 'make install' I get an
error message.  I'm not sure if I should concern myself with it, since
it's about a Japanese module.  Listed below is the message.

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "bin/update", line 45, in ?
       import paths
   File "/usr/local/mailman/bin/paths.py", line 55, in ?
       import japanese
ImportError: No module named japanese
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.

Can I still continue?  Will Mailman still run?  Do I care about this
Japanese module?

I did look in the archives and found a few similar questions, but wasn't
sure what I should do.  I contacted the Python help group and they
seemed to think that the HP porting site "seems to imply that all of
Python is included in the package." Does that mean I need to install the
'developer's package'?  I don't get it, why would all the pieces
necessary NOT be there?

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Lynn Poythress
California State University, Sacramento