[Mailman-Users] on mailing to my list: user (=listname) unknown; (sendmail-mailman config error?)

walter.mauritz at wu-wien.ac.at walter.mauritz at wu-wien.ac.at
Wed May 5 03:58:18 CEST 2004

Hi,

I have installed
- mailman
- apache
- sendmail

Successfully created a list, got a confirmation eMail from list. But on mailing to the list listname = "mylist", I get the following error:

<mylist at smesrv.sme-union.org>:
217.136.223.232_does_not_like_recipient./Remote_host_said:_550_5.1.1_<mylist at smesrv.s
me-union.org>..._User_unknown/Giving_up_on_217.136.223.232./

It seems to me like the mail delivery agent tries to put the mail to the correct user "mylist",
who doesn't exist. So what can I do that mailman recognizes its for him.

Further information:
- smesrv.sme-union.org = 217.136.223.232

- On Configuration I followed the INSTALL and the README, being included in the mailman
distribution.

- Furthermore in sendmail, /etc/mail/access there is no "discard" ... which could falsly
generate that 550 error message

- mm_cfg.py:
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'smesrv.sme-union.org'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'smesrv.sme-union.org'
add_virtualhost('smesrv.sme-union.org','smesrv.sme-union.org')

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is there any further information about the system which
I should provide?

Regards

Walter