[Mailman-Users] After making changes to Defaults.py or mm_cfg.py

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Mon May 3 08:03:08 CEST 2004

On 2 May 2004, at 05:45, Eric Pretorious wrote:

> $prefix/bin/withlist doesn't seem to work now... (i.e., It worked
> yesterday!)
>
>> away mailman # bin/newlist bod at sunnyvalemetro.org

Your problem may start with the domain you are specifying in the
newlist command.

This command accepts the domain of the URL host NOT that of the mail
host.

The mm_cfg entries you show below add a virtual host with a URL host of
mail.sunnyvalemetro.org and EMAIL host of sunnyvalemetro.org.

     away mailman # bin/newlist bod at mail.sunnyvalemetro.org

Your actual use of the newlist specifies a URL host that is not a key
in the VIRTUALHOSTS dictionary. The consequence is that, in this case,
the domain specified to the command is being used to form both URLs and
email host for the list being created; it is just 'coincidence' that
the email host is the same as the value one of key/value the entries
that is in the  VIRTUALHOSTS dictionary.

Run newlist with the -h option and read the output carefully to see
what I mean.

>> Enter the email of the person running the list: ericp at he.net
>> Initial bod password:
>> Hit enter to notify bod owner...
>>
>> away mailman #  bin/withlist -l -r fix_url bod -v
>> Importing fix_url...
>> Running fix_url.fix_url()...
>> Setting web_page_url to: http://mail.leaguehost.net/mailman/
>> Setting host_name to: leaguehost.net
>> Saving list
>> Finalizing
>
> (Notice that the domain's been changed from 'sunnyvalemetro.org' to
> 'leaguehost.net'.)
>
> What's causing this?

You did not specify a domain to the fix_url.py and so the values of
DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST have been used. Presumably your
DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST respectively are set to
mail.leaguehost.net and leaguehost.net in your Defaults.py. Your
extract from mm_cfg.py does not indicate you have attempted to override
these assignments in mm_cfg.py