[Mailman-Users] Mailman/pipermail/MHonArc integration issue

Wiley Wimberly wiley at nuvox.net
Sun May 2 21:52:14 CEST 2004

On May 1, 2004, at 6:27 PM, Richard Barrett wrote:

> On 1 May 2004, at 19:40, Wiley Wimberly wrote:
>

>> Hi, I am using the Mailman/pipermail/MHonArc integration patchs found
>> at http://www.openinfo.co.uk/mailman/index.html and have been seeing
>> the following issue. When I run bin/arch --wipe listname it correctly
>> builds the html for each month section unless there is only a single
>> message for the month. The output shows:
>>

>> figuring article archives
>> 2004-May
>>
>> Warning: Could not parse date for message
>>
>> This only seems to happen if there is just one message for that month.
>>
>> I also see the same error in the error log on all incoming messages
>> that are sent to the archiver.
>>
>> Warning: Could not parse date for message
>>
>> The message shows up in the html, but the subject and sender are
>> missing from the toc.
>>
>> 	• 	[no subject] ,  Unknown - Sat May 01 14:28:54 2004
>>
>> Also all of the header lines are missing from the message page. I
>> just get a heading of  [no subject].
>>
>> I am using mailman 2.1.4 with the following patches which all seemed
>> to apply cleanly.
>>
>> modinc-2.1.4-0.1.patch
>> indexing-2.1.4-0.1.patch
>> htdig-2.1.4-0.1.patch
>> mhonarc-2.1.4-0.1.patch
>>

>> Is anyone else seeing this issue? I have been beating on this for a
>> few days and any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
> I have not seen this problem during development and testing of the
> mhonarc integration patch you are using. Nobody has raised a similar
> problem with me but I have no idea how many users (if any, besides
> yourself) there are of the patch. I am running it on servers I
> maintain which have been getting fairly heavy use without seeing this
> problem.
>
> The MHonArc FAQ provides an explanation for why the message is
> generated but I cannot immediately associate this with an obvious
> defect in the mhonarc integration patch. See MHonArc FAQ at:
>
>     http://www.mhonarc.org/MHonArc/doc/faq/usage.html#parsedate
>
> What version of MHonArc are you running? The patch was developed and
> tested using MHonArc 2.6.8

I am using version 2.6.8 of MHonArc as well.

> The say you get this problem when you only have one message in a month
> (I assume this is the archive period for the list?) when running
> bin/arch or when new messages are being handled. This is significant
> in that under these circumstances a single message is piped to the
> spawned process running the mhonarc script, by the patched
> Mailman/pipermail code, rather than the spawned process being handed
> multiple messages written to a temporary mbox file by the patched
> Mailman/pipermail code. Why this should make a difference is not
> immediately obvious to me.
>
> With MHonArc 2.6.8 source, the actual error message appears to be
> generated around line 818 in the file
> lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/mhamain.pl (under whatever directory path
> you have installed MHonArc in). From what you say about the HTML
> generated for these messages, the failure mode appears to be a general
> failure for MHonArc to identify any headers in the message; in the
> info you cite the message id, date, subject and other headers appear
> not to have been found by the mail header parser used by MHonArc.
>
> On your system, what OS and version, Python version and how installed,
> how was Mailman installed, MHonArc version and how installed?

The box is running RedHat Enterprise Linux ES version 3 with the latest
updates provided by up2date. Python is the rpm that came with the
distribution python-2.2.3-5. I compiled mailman after patching with the
4 patches that I mentioned before. I have also tried doing a clean
install with the combined source and patches from your site. MHonArc is
version 2.6.8 and I followed the example given in your instructions to
install it.

> I'll take a look at the MHonArc 2.6.8 code in abit more detail but I
> am limited on the time and effort I can spend on this; I have some
> urgent paid-work commitments I must meet right now.
>
> I can provide you with some diagnostic code to try and confirm what
> the patched Mailman is piping to MHonArc in order to identity which
> side of the Mailman/MHonArc line the search for a problem solution
> needs to concentrate on, if you want.

The diagnostic code would be much appreciated. Thanks for your help.