[Mailman-Users] list administration - automatic approval

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Fri Mar 26 17:22:45 CET 2004

On 26 Mar 2004, at 16:00, Jamie L. Penman-Smithson wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 15:21, Bulcaen Bob wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is it possible to approve automatically new subscriptions.
>> That is, without approval via the mailmaster.
>>
>> Many thanks for the answer, and the great software !
>
> See the previous thread "Stopping the confirmation email" for ways of
> doing this, and why it is a **Very Bad Idea** (and may actually be
> illegal in some areas):

Not requiring approval and not requiring confirmation are two different
things.

With MM 2.1.x, on the Privacy->Subscription Rules page of the admin web
GUI for a list, you can choose between three options described thusly:

<quote>
subscribe_policy (privacy): What steps are required for subscription?

Confirm (*) - email confirmation required
Require approval - require list administrator  approval for
subscriptions
Confirm and approve - both confirm and approve

(*) when someone requests a subscription,  Mailman sends them a notice
with a unique subscription request number that they must reply to  in
order to subscribe.
This prevents  mischievous (or malicious) people from creating
subscriptions for others without their consent.
</quote>

I agree it is best not to remove the confirmation requirement. But
approval is to let you vet people subscribing and is not the same thing
as confirmed subscription.