[Mailman-Users] newbie question

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Mar 25 13:38:42 CET 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 00:09, Jim Chivas wrote:
> I double checked the information you suggested below. I did your
> suggestion and it works ok.
>
> Now new question.
>
> I am following the mailman doc to create my first list ex:
>
> http://my.dom.ain:8080/mailman/create
>                   ****
> Note the port number!
>

> The screen comes up and I put in the data requested but when I click on
> create I receive the 'mailman/create' page can't be found plus the URL in
> my browser does not keep the port# 8080 in its path. I am assuming this is
> my trouble.
>
> To correct this I added
>
> DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'pipeline.langara.bc.ca:8080'

This will not work. Default_URL_Host is simply the hostname. The way
Mailman treats this variable makes it so that you *must* instead make
the change in:
   DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'

In your case I think this will work:
   DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s:8080/mailman/'

> to my mm_cfg.py file at the end.
>
> I then stopped and started mailmanctl.
>
> When I try again the url still keeps loosing the port# 8080 from the URL.
>

> Referencing the following list off the create page returns similar no
> port# url as follows.
>

> http://pipeline.langara.bc.ca/mailman/admin (overview)

> Can you offer any suggestions on how to keep the port# in the URL's for
> mailman?
>

> Thanks
>
> Jim

Give that a try, Jim.

Note: I believe that your existing lists will already have the old URL
stored in their database (config.pck) - so you will need to either
recreate the lists (after making the above change) or you will have to
use "withlist" to modify the url inside the existing lists databases.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes