[Mailman-Users] archive rotation

Al Black alblack at achilles.net
Wed Mar 10 16:47:28 CET 2004

Hi Jon, all.

 > >I'm wondering if anyone has a script that manages archive rotation.  I'm
 > >thinking of something that can run from cron and keeps messages that have
 > > been around less than an month (30 days, etc), and discarding the rest.

>I use logrotate at my sites to rotate my logs monthly. It's simple to
>setup and it's already running on most systems. I generally keep 4
>months worth of back logs.

Thanks.  I guess I should have been more clear.

What I'm wondering about is the archived messages in
/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/* rather than the log files.  I have
the lists set up so that new archive volumes are set up on a monthly
basis.  So the directory for each list looks like:

2003-December  (directory)
2003-December.txt
2003-December.txt.gz
2004-February (directory)
2004-February.txt
2004-February.txt.gz
2004-January (directory)
2004-January.txt
2004-January.txt.gz
2004-March (directory)
2004-March.txt
2004-March.txt.gz

And inside each of those directories are a whack of html files, pages, and
a symbolic link.

Ideally, I'd like to keep 30 days of messages, so that users who go on
vacation or set no mail for various reasons can go back and take a look at
what they missed.  Its different than the usual reasons for having an
archive, but it makes sense for social kinds of mailing lists.

Obviously, I'll have to do some configuration tweaks, switch to a yearly
archive, and parse from there.   But it wouldn't surprise me if someone had
done something like this before.

Thanks,
al