[Mailman-Users] problem accessing mailman web pages after switching server

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Mar 9 03:51:00 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 16:20, Thomas Waters wrote:
> We set up Mailman  on Panther Server 10.3.3.  It had an IP and hostname
> for our dev server.  Once everything was configured, etc, I switched
> the IP and name to be our mail server.  Mailman is working in terms of
> sending out mail to the various lists, but I can not access the web
> pages to admin any of the lists!  Attempt to hit
> www.mysite.edu/mailman/admin opens the page, but says there are no
> public advertised lists.  I can get to any admin config page with
> www.mysite.edu/mailman/admin/somelist/  but clicking ANY link on the
> page, attempts to send me to the old dev URL.  Maybe this is just a
> Safari cache problem- but with IE, I get a "connection error occurred."
>
> Maybe part of the issue, is the host name list prefers in the general
> config.  hostname of box is rxweb.pharmacy.pitt.edu.  The MX record
> reads that anyuser at pharmacy.pitt.edu is directed to
> rxweb.pharmacy.pitt.edu.   so what belongs on the mailman general
> options config- pharmacy.pitt.edu or rxweb.pharmacy.pitt.edu?
>
> so, I guess there are 3 issues- correct listing on the general options
> page- which should it be, and why the web pages can't be accessed
> , and why does it say lists are not publicly advertised.
>
> thx,
> --
> Thomas Waters
> Director of Information and Communication Services
> University of Pittsburgh, School of Pharmacy
> rxweb at pitt.edu
> http://www.pharmacy.pitt.edu

This is an FAQ:
  http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py

You will need to edit your ~mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py and enter the
proper url and mail hosts, and you will need to correct the existing
lists by going into their databases via the ~mailman/bin/withlist
command.

You can toggle one of the settings in mm_cfg.py (look in Defaults.py for
the exact syntax) and have it display all your lists regardless of the
base URL used.  The default is to only show the lists at the virtual
domain specified by URL used to view the web-pages.

Good hunting - Jon Carnes