[Mailman-Users] How to STOP Mailman & Sendmail

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Mar 3 05:52:40 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 22:56, Brian Haines wrote:
> I have a recurring problem. I have an announce only list of 50K +
> subscribers. I have never been able to STOP the list. It takes all day to
> run and I sometimes need to stop it so that I can run another message, or if
> I just made a mistake.
>
> I stop Sendmail, Stop the Mailman service, and kill any remaining processes
> for either. I clean out the qfiles and locks directories. When I start
> sendmail and wait for a while Sendmail is there quietly "accepting
> connections" without restarting the list messages, but as soon as I start up
> Mailman again (service mailman start), without sending any more messages to
> any list, the sendmail connections start to multiply with activity from the
> previously killed session.
>
> How do I stop it?
>
> The FAQ does not cover it. There is no README with anything of this nature.
> I have searched the archives of this list - null, and I have asked here
> along with other questions and received no comment.
>
> I am running:
> Redhat Linux 2.1AS
> Python 2.3.3
> Mailman 2.1.4
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Brian

When I first read your question it made no sense to me, but now I think
I know what your looking for... You want the mailman queued files to run
at a lesser priority than your other site mail. In that way, your
regular site mail would flow out ahead of your announce only list
traffic.

This is really a problem for Sendmail (and is doable, but not easy).
Mailman simply injects the mail into the local mail queue and after that
it has no control over how Sendmail handles it.

One scenario that would work is to have Mailman add a "bulk" header to
the messages it injects into the queue and then mod Sendmail to only
deliver "bulk" queued messages if no other queued up mail is waiting to
be processed.

Another scenario is to have Mailman drop it's outbound messages into
another queue and then have that queue slowly feed into your outbound
mail queue.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes