[Mailman-Users] From Address and non-member posts

Ian A B Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Wed Jun 30 18:16:21 CEST 2004

--On Wednesday, June 30, 2004 10:55 am -0400 David Relson
<relson at osagesoftware.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:44:17 +0200
> Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
>
>> * Yogesh Subhash Talekar <yogesh at unipune.ernet.in>:
>> > hi
>> >
>> > two questions:
>> >
>> > 1. When I post to my mailming list the From address comes like
>> > "mylist-bounces at mydomain.com". Why can't I have the from address as
>> > the address of the sender?
>>
>> Because that's where bounces go, and you want automatic unsubscription
>> to work, don't you?
>
> And, as a subscriber, I don't want all the bounce messages coming to me!
>  As Ralf says, let mailman see the bounces and deal with them.

No, that's wrong. The question was about the "From:" address. Bounces go to
the "Sender:" address. The from address has to be the person who composed
the message. The sender address is the agent that sent it to the recipient.

There is an option in the "General Options" page of the web management
utility which hides the original sender of the message. "Hide the sender of
a message, replacing it with the list  address (Removes From, Sender and
Reply-To fields)". It fixes a setting called "anonymous_list".

--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team