[Mailman-Users] how to avoid the anit-spoofing error

Ian A B Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Mon Jun 14 23:28:36 CEST 2004

On 14 Jun 2004, at 17:19, Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 7:56 AM -0700 2004-06-14, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>>>  (reason: 550 Error: Anti-spoofing - From header field in inbound
>>> eMail
>>>  cannot be local domain)
>
> 		[ ... deletia ... ]
>
>>  Have you tried setting
>>    USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER = No
>>  in mm_cfg.py?
>
> 	That's on the mailing list server side.  If I understand correctly,
> the problem is that the mailing list server is sending out e-mail that
> claims to be from within the domain, which is being rejected by the
> mail server.  This is a classic case of mis-configuration of the mail
> server, and is not a problem that is likely to be able to be resolved
> by the external mailing list server.

Note that the misconfigured server is the one issuing the 550 error.
Your list server is working the way mailing lists are supposed to work.
The email really IS from the person that it says its from.

Ask the company to fix this. Otherwise their staff won't be able to get
copies of their own (or each others) posts from most lists.

Its easy to fix, if they have a decent mail server. Simply add a header
(Eg "X-company: yes", where company is the company name) to the
outgoing mail server, and permit "spoofing" when that header is
present. Look at my headers for an example.

That's a fairly simple thing to do, and no spammer is going to go to
the trouble of working out how to circumvent this in a hurry. If the
trick catches on, then maybe they will. In that case, you need to do
something more clever, like giving the header an MD5 hash of the sender
address and the date and time that the mail was sent  (extracted from a
header, of course) and some secret password. Probably not worth trying
to work that out at the moment, though.