[Mailman-Users] Setting up lists for virtual domains

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Fri Jun 11 13:10:05 CEST 2004

On 11 Jun 2004, at 10:47, Slava Grecea wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm trying to setup a mailman to deal with virtual domains using
> postfix as
> MTA. Postfix is running just fine and can handle mail from virtual
> domains I
> added. I went on to confidure mailman after that, and I ran through
> several
> issues I can't figure out.
> Suppose, I want to have several lists with their respective virtual
> hosts:
> list1, list2 and lists.domain1.tld, lists.domain2.tld ...
> I've set up mm_config.py like
>
> MTA = 'Postfix'
> MAILMAN_SITE_LIST = 'mailman'
>
> DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE = 'en'
> DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.domain1.tld'
> DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'domain1.tld'
>
> SMTPHOST='mail.domain1.tld'
> SMTPPORT = 25
>
> POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = [
>         DEFAULT_URL_HOST,'domain2.tld'
>         ]
>
> VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
> add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
> add_virtualhost('lists.domain2.tld', 'domain2.tld')
>
> Now I'm trying to add a lists, by issuing the following command:
> ./newlist list1 at domain1.tld me at domain1.tld password
> In this case I receive an email, that showing me that I can access my
> newly
> created list using http://domain1.tld/mailman/lists instead of
> http://lists.domain1.tld/mailman/lists.

Run bin/newlist -h and get the following explanation of why you did not
get what you wanted:

<quote>
You can specify the domain to create your new list in by spelling the
listname
like so:

     mylist at www.mydom.ain

where `www.mydom.ain' should be the base hostname for the URL to this
virtual
hosts's lists.  E.g. with is setting people will view the general list
overviews at http://www.mydom.ain/mailman/listinfo.  Also, www.mydom.ain
should be a key in the VIRTUAL_HOSTS mapping in mm_cfg.py/Defaults.py.
It
will be looked up to give the email hostname.  If this can't be found,
then
www.mydom.ain will be used for both the web interface and the email
interface
</quote>